KOFO Local News

Mistrial declared in conviction involving 12-year-old kidnapping, attempted rape case

Posted in Uncategorized by kofonews on July 2, 2012

OTTAWA — A mistrial has been declared in the trial of an Arizona prison inmate who was convicted in a case involving a 12-year-old kidnapping and attempted rape in Ottawa. The family of the woman who was kidnapped while she was teenager confirmed that the mistrial had been declared Friday in the case of Ralph Corey. On June 22, a Franklin County jury took two and a half hours to convict the 52-year-old Corey of aggravated kidnapping, attempted rape, two counts of aggravated sexual battery and criminal threat.
Monday, July 2, 6:30 a.m.

About these ads

3 Responses

Subscribe to comments with RSS.

  1. Diana Staresinic-Deane said, on July 2, 2012 at 5:46 pm

    Why was the mistrial declared?

    • kofonews said, on July 4, 2012 at 10:20 am

      According to what we’ve been told, jurors used a Smart Phone to do additional research about the case during deliberations. Jurors are supposed to consider only the evidence and testimony presented during the trial. A retrial is set for Aug. 22.

      • Diana Staresinic-Deane said, on July 4, 2012 at 7:00 pm

        Wow, yikes! The court usually goes over that with the jury before the trial. I wonder if the juror will be held in contempt? How frustrating for the victims.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 33 other followers

%d bloggers like this: